- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, B.A., CUM LAUDE
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW, J.D.
- TEXAS STATE COURTS
- WASHINGTON, D.C.
- FIFTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
- EIGHTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- TEXAS LAW FELLOW, UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW
- THOMSON REUTERS “TEXAS RISING STARS” 2009, 2011
Jon-Bernard Schwartz is a seasoned and hands-on negotiator and trial lawyer. Jon has nearly 20 years of experience helping clients to navigate the civil action process—from the inception of claims, to litigation, and through trial and appeals. He has tried many cases to verdict and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants.
Jon has represented global oil and gas corporations, financial services companies, technology start-ups, electrical cooperatives, art galleries, and individuals in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, around Texas, and around the country. He particularly enjoys helping small and local businesses in the North Oak Cliff community of Dallas where he lives with his family.
• Jon was part of a two-man team that received a unanimous jury verdict in a five-week trial in Houston federal court. They represented an oil operating company against its insurer for breach of contract and violations of the Texas Prompt Payment of Claims Act. Jon conducted voir dire, examined witnesses, and drafted multiple trial and post-trial motions and briefs. The oil operating company received $25.4 million in damages and $6.25 million in attorneys’ fees and costs after appeals to the Fifth Circuit were exhausted.
• Jon obtained a dismissal for a client who had been sued in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Jon then successfully briefed and argued this case on appeal to the 8th Circuit B.A.P., which ruled in favor of his client.
• Jon litigated a multi-million dollar tort, bankruptcy, and adversary proceeding in the state and federal courts of New York and the Delaware bankruptcy court, saving his client tens of millions of dollars sought in a clawback action.
• Jon was part of the trial team defending Halliburton in the April 2010 BP Gulf oil spill. Jon took multiple depositions in London and New Orleans, oversaw massive e-discovery projects, and was part of his firm’s class action team.
• Jon defended a restaurateur in a breach of contract lawsuit resulting in all claims against his client being dismissed at no cost.
• Jon oversaw the litigation of a Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) action against a multinational corporation client.
• Jon secured a settlement for a Dallas media personality in an employment case against a national broadcasting company.
• Jon litigated multiple Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage buy-back actions for a mortgage lender.
• Jon obtained the full dismissal of a lawsuit in Oklahoma City federal court that alleged civil rights violations against his client.
* These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and results will vary depending on the facts and circumstances of each individual matter.