- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, B.A., CUM LAUDE, 1993
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW, J.D., 1997
- TEXAS STATE COURTS
- WASHINGTON, D.C.
- FIFTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
- EIGHTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
- TEXAS LAW FELLOW, UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW
- THOMSON REUTERS “TEXAS RISING STARS” 2009, 2011
Jon-Bernard Schwartz is a seasoned and hands-on negotiator and trial lawyer. Jon has over 20 years of experience helping clients to navigate the civil action process—from the inception of claims, to litigation, and through trial and appeals. He has tried many cases to verdict and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants.
Jon has represented global oil and gas corporations, financial services companies, technology start-ups, electrical cooperatives, art galleries, and individuals in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, around Texas, and around the country. He particularly enjoys helping small and local businesses in the North Oak Cliff community of Dallas where he lives with his family.
Results matter. For over 20 years, Jon has built a track record of achieving positive outcomes for his clients. Here are a few:*
• Jon was part of a two-man team that received a unanimous jury verdict in a five-week trial in Houston federal court. They represented an oil operating company against its insurer for breach of contract and violations of the Texas Prompt Payment of Claims Act. Jon conducted voir dire, examined witnesses, and drafted multiple trial and post-trial motions and briefs. The oil operating company received $25.4 million in damages and $6.25 million in attorneys’ fees and costs after appeals to the Fifth Circuit were exhausted.
• Jon obtained a dismissal for a client who had been sued in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Jon then successfully briefed and argued this case on appeal to the 8th Circuit B.A.P., which ruled in favor of his client.
• Jon litigated a multi-million dollar tort, bankruptcy, and adversary proceeding in the state and federal courts of New York and the Delaware bankruptcy court, saving his client tens of millions of dollars sought in a clawback action.
• Jon defended a restaurateur in a breach of contract lawsuit resulting in all claims against his client being dismissed at no cost.
• Jon obtained a dismissal with prejudice for his client under the Texas Anti-SLAPP law. His client had been wrongly sued for defamation, and this was a total vindication of his client’s rights.
• Jon obtained a termination of a client’s proposed debarment by the Defense Logistics Agency in Fort Belvoir, Virginia.
• Jon’s client had been sued in Texas and an injunction taken against him, even though the client lived and conducted business in Tennessee. Jon had the entire case against his client, including the injunction, dismissed with prejudice.
• Jon convinced a Texas federal judge to sanction opposing counsel approximately $9,000 for wrongfully removing a state court case to federal court.
• Jon was part of a two-man team who tried a divorce case on behalf of Wife, in which the judge ordered that the Husband’s company be fully awarded to Wife.
• Jon obtained a six-figure settlement for a woman injured in a slip-and-fall in Dallas County, Texas.
• Jon represented a doctor wrongly sued by a law firm for tortious interference with a contract. Jon was able to get the case against the doctor dismissed with prejudice by virtue of a motion for summary judgment.
• Jon secured a six-figure settlement for a client whose home was constantly and severely flooded by an adjacent apartment complex.
* These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and results will vary depending on the facts and circumstances of each individual matter.